When we left off, I was waiting for culture results on some punch biopsies done on Stampede’s right hind leg. While the results weren’t super helpful, they did change our treatment direction. The only bacteria that showed up was staph, which the vets said is almost a guaranteed result on a horse’s leg. The interesting part was that the culture was resistant to Baytril, the drug we had been giving him for several weeks. The next interesting part is that the antibiotics he was on before we moved to Baytril, SMZ’s and Excede, were the recommended treatment. We moved on from those because Stampede’s legs blew up badly while already on them. Of course you can’t forget that at the same time he was on steroids which we were slowly reducing over time as treatment we had started for his vasculitis. So there was a chance the steroids were causing things to get worse instead of better, and the steroids were stopped the day he got his IV catheter and started Baytril. So basically the whole thing was and is confusing!
So Stampede got his last Baytril shot on the 24th, then the vets wanted him to have 24 hours off anitbiotics before the switch. Since Baytil lasts 24 hours in the system Stampede got his first dose of Excede on the 26th and his first dose of SMZ’s that same evening. To add to the weirdness he did get worse while on his 24 hour break from antibiotics (higher fever and very lethargic) and all we can think is that while there was resistance to Baytril it was still helping him somewhat. Thankfully things have (knock on wood) equalized since he got back on the “new” antibiotics but so far there hasn’t been any kind of miraculous recovery. The vet did also take samples to run some new tests last Friday, but I probably won’t have those results for a couple days yet. Honestly I don’t expect them to tell us anything but I would happily be wrong.
Another twist in the plot is that the farrier convinced me to pull Stampede’s shoes before I left for Alaska. Stampede’s feet had gotten quite ugly and the hard ground combined with stomping at bugs meant the nails were coming loose and sticking out plus leaving the shoes in jeopardy of coming off. I was very concerned Stampede would get sore but the farrier thought he would be fine. While he seemed okay for a bit (it’s been over a month since they were pulled) he’s now very sore. Vet didn’t think shoes were going to stay on well (like farrier thought) so I ordered Stampede some boots. I guess we will see how my measuring skills are. Currently he’s rocking the special pads cut from a kneeling pad purchased at the hardware store. He was immediately a lot happier.
Oh my boy, if you could just get it together that would be great!
SUCH a special snowflake he is (and you too for doing all this for him!) 🙂 Also genius on the feet thing. COULD Have tried that with Tate. You are my idol 🙂 HA
Fingers crossed he feels better (and you figure him out soon)!!
He is very special (still pretty much the same) and he now has Easyboot Clouds which are great and an abscess. 🙁
I think we are sending off a lyme test today although we are likely changing meds before that comes back though since current ones aren’t doing anything either. Just waiting on an updated CBC this morning. Ugh.
Yoga mats can also be cut to shape for pads if you need something with less thickness! These are all tips I learn from some hoof groups on FB I’m in, lol. I hope you figure it out or that he feels better! Poor sir! He’s got a good horse mom 🙂
Oh interesting, didn’t know about the yoga mat! I also got some hoof armor, cool stuff! Still trying to figure out how to help him sadly.
Oh my goodness! Poor Stampede! Just one thing after another! That is certainly an #equestriansolution right there for that last one! But you gotta do what you gotta do for you ponies, right? I’m crossing my fingers that you guys get results from the last test!
Stampede just doesn’t seem to have any luck lately. He got an abscess in his right front right after he got his hoof boots which still seems to be lingering a bit despite popping pretty quickly. Last test was all negative which is both good and bad. Would be nice to get a positive result on something we can treat so we have a path at this point.
Poor baby 🙁
Poor guy! I hope he starts feeling better soon! crossing my fingers for you!
Thank you, I wish he would just get better.
Ugh, I’m so sorry for you guys. This is endlessly frustrating! I hope the switch in meds kicks in asap and really does the trick this time.
Rio wears flip flop shoes, which might be an option to look into. They do nail on, but a little differently than regular shoes. They’ve kept Rio’s sensitive feet comfy for a few years now.
Med change hasn’t really done anything so waiting on another change and exploring taking him to MSU which I really don’t want to do. Stampede was comfortable in shoes but the nails wouldn’t stay tight between our dry hot weather and his crappy feet. Other than having a draining abscess currently (ugh) he’s pretty happy in hoof boots now thankfully. If we could just figure out the rest of his problems…
Holy moly. That sounds…. stressful. I am keeping all crossable crossed that you get some answers soon!
Thank you. Definitely stressful and sadly still going on. 🙁
I wish foam pads and duct tape were an actual shoeing option. Bobby was so comfortable in his even while his coffin bone was about to come out the bottom of his foot. But, you know, the whole longevity thing lol. Thumbs down there, thumbs heartily up for comfort!
Yes the foam pads were really helping him a lot. He likes the hoof boots too (they have foam pads) besides having an abscess now. 🙁 Then there’s this stupid fever that won’t go away. Ugh.
Poor Stamps – hope you guys get an answer soon!