In my last post I listed several items I was going to check into to get Stampede feeling better again so I thought I’d go through those.
1) Recheck saddle fit – his back has muscled up since he started doing the stretches. I’d cry if the butet was too tight after all this! Well the Butet still fits, yay!
2) Play with adding back in the shim on the left side. I had taken it out because his back was almost even, but maybe that was a bad idea. I made some smaller shims too so I can play around even more. Ended up adding back in the entire shim after some measurements and used it for all of my rides this week.
3) Get his teeth done. He is due for a good float, which requires drugs in Stampede’s case. Stampede will have a manual float as he doesn’t put up with power tools. Last time I did power tools he got drugged three times and two of us still had to hang of his head and he almost fell down after the dentist left because he’d had so much…Stampede got a small amount of dormosedan and was perfect for the dentist yesterday.
4) Discuss with vet about another monthly injectable joint product he could be on. He was on Adequan, but I ran out a few months ago and as we all know it’s on eternal back order. Vet happened to have some single dose vials in her truck that she got directly from the manufacturer, boys will both get a dose today!
5) Replace one day of under saddle work with lunging in the fake Pessoa to keep pressure off his kissing spines. I put Stampede in the fake Pessoa this past Sunday instead of riding, and I plan to do the same this coming Sunday. Helps him use his back without the pressure of my weight, which is really what makes him sore.
Stampede definitely feels better than last Saturday, but he still seems a little sticky in the canter. I think I’m on the right track with his care, so we will see!
Yesterday my friend Jessica came out to ride with me in the afternoon since I had the day off to meet with the vet and dentist in the afternoon. We started off with a quick trail ride.
After that we flatted out in the field. Other than a couple of minutes of rain/sleet mix it was pretty nice out. Obviously way better than riding indoors!
Both boys will have today off then I have a lesson on Stampede tomorrow. Hoping for a better lesson this week!