I purchased and received the Smartpak Fleece Quarter Sheet back in November and have had the opportunity to use it over a dozen times thanks to another very cold winter. At the time of purchase the sheet was on sale and there was a promo code for free embroidery that I took advantage of.
I think the best way to evaluate this quarter sheet is by doing a pro and con list!
- Fleece for easy care
- Quarter sheet has been washed and dried 3 times and looks brand new
- Gorgeous monogram by Smartpak
- Hole is plenty big enough to go around large saddles (18-18.5″) without the binding having to slide underneath the panels (I always think that has to be uncomfortable for their backs)
- Sits nicely on the horse and stays put (I haven’t been using the tail cord)
- Doesn’t put pressure on the horse’s wither
- Fleece means static (usually after I put my cooler on top and remove it a few times since both are fleece)
- I wish this had a European cut so that the sheet wasn’t under my leg. Maybe good for a sensitive skinned horse, but sometimes feels like it muffles communication.
- To me this runs just a tad small. Phoenix, who wears a 78-81″ blanket is wearing the large horse in these pictures. That said, this quarter sheet did just fit Stampede who wears an 87″ blanket. Probably depends how your horse is built and how you like the sheet to hang.
Funny enough, I was so turned off by the quarter sheet being under my leg when I rode Stampede in it the first time that I did almost return it. However, it got really cold out so I started using it on Phoenix and just loved it more and more each time. I also tried a couple more quarter sheets around the barn on the boys and each one had some other item I didn’t like even more.
I like to think it keeps Mr. P warmer during out frigid rides. He certainly looks extra handsome in it!
Lastly, if Smartpak sees this, I recommend coming out with a European cut version of this quarter sheet, then I could call it perfect!